Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday Better Late Than Never

OOPS!  So sorry y'all!  I am in New Orleans for a conference and all day long I kept thinking today was Monday!  Yes... with trying to pack and rush out of the house it has been one of those days.  :)

  

This is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time.  
I know I say that a lot but I am serious.  This.book.IS.my.FAVORITE!!
The illustrations and the rhythm and rhyme of this book make it so much fun to read and the kids HOWL with laughter.  {especially on the last page}


When I read this book to the kids I actually sing it to the tune of  Shortenin' Bread

One day my mamma caught me painting on the ceiling and the floor and I heard my mamma holler like I never did before.... YA AIN'T A GONNA PAINT NO MORE!
I ain't gonna paint no more, no more. I ain't gonna paint no more.
That's what I say but there ain't no way that I ain't gonna paint no more.



{Look at the expression on the dog's face in each of the illustrations.... HILARIOUS!}



Do you see why they howl with laughter?
If not,  look a little closer. :)

I hope to have a mini unit out for this book soon.
It is the perfect book for teaching rhyming words and so many other skills.






I know I was late but I hope you will still link up!  Next week I promise not to be late.









10 comments:

  1. haha! This is my first time seeing this book. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book does look precious! Thanks for sharing! I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! Someone gave it to me a long time ago and I never read it. I will definitely be pulling it out this year and use it with rhyming words!
    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is so cute - my kids absolutely love it! Thanks for reminding me about it.
    Have a great time at your conference and enjoy New Orleans - how much fun!! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing about this book, Deanna-- on my wish list now! I've got some other ones that Catrow illustrated, like That's Good, That's Bad, and We the Kids, and his illustrations are hysterical. Also, so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't always know what day it is... at least in the summer! Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great book! Love David Catrow and am a collector of any of his books I can get my hands on. This one is one of my favorites, too. Thanks for the opportunity to link up.

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite books too! Looking forward to the unit you will create. Isn't the song "It Aint Gonna Rain No More" instead of "Shortenin' Bread"?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book!! I like to do this at the beginning of the year. I can't wait to see your mini unit. I read it once and then I sing it to "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS BOOK! I usually read this book with my kids several times since it's one of my favorites. One idea that I do is I have a blank body where students can draw all over the body adding patterns to it if they were allowed to "paint" themselves. I always love the creations my students come up with.
    Kinders on the Block

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this one too! Our public librarian came to the school right before school let out and read...really sang...this book from memory while painting herself and the kids loved it! She was pretty painted and hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover